Can Skateboarding Help You Lose Weight?
Losing weight is one of those nagging things in the back of our minds, always there and reminding us of our chubby places or things that need a bit of tweaking and toning. However, not all of us enjoy the hard-core gym activities because not all of us has access to a gym for certain reasons. But whatever those reasons are, it’s okay we are not here to judge you but to give you alternatives to gaming. Especially an alternative that you can enjoy and have fun with every day is skateboarding.
Skateboarding, if you haven’t heard of it, but most probably you have, is a recreational sporty activity. Through a specially designed active skateboard on which you cruise through the streets by adding pressure and speed by the movement of your knees and feet. You can do quite a lot of tricks as well to improve your skills and grip on the sport. Skateboarding isn’t the fastest way to burn those annoying calories but through steady workout regimen, you can get effective results out of it.
How Many Calories Does Skateboarding Burn?
You can wonder just how many calories are going to be skinned away with skateboarding. Just for your information, according to experts, you need to burn 3500 extra calories to eliminate 1 pound of fat. When converting that to real statistics, you need to work out from Monday to Friday and burn 700 more calories in order to have a shortfall of those 3500 calories. It is possible to burn 300 calories if skateboarding for an hour. If you think you can skateboard to work then walk, take a taxi, car or a subway then you would be skateboarding twice per day, thus burning calories in the go without taking specific time out for exercise. If you incorporate a proper and healthy diet plan with your skateboarding regimen, then you would see worthwhile results in a few weeks.
Is Skateboarding Good Exercise?
From an outside perspective, skateboarding seems easy and only makes use of leg and foot muscles. However, this is not the case. This activity puts your upper and lower legs in gear as well as your core. It targets the following muscles:
- Upper and lower legs: both portions of the legs contain big areas of muscles in front and back which are constantly engaged in contraction and relaxation as you skateboard. This really burns the thigh fat and helps you tone and shape up your legs.
- Quadriceps: these are the muscles which move your knee and extend them as well as flex those hip joints, they are the group of muscles that shape the front your thighs. Skateboard tricks such as ollies need the flex of hip and lots of knee extensions as ollies require you to bend torso towards the hip, so you do want to build up that flexibility and strength in your quadriceps.
- Hamstrings muscles: these allow the knees to flex and move your calves to the back of your thighs. You will rely on your hamstrings real heavily when you skateboard. As with the other muscles, these also help maintain a lower center of gravity as you crouch into a lower position.
- Gluteus Maximus: the rear muscles are one of the strongest in the body. The buttocks allow hip movement and thighs which are required for your balance. When in an Ollie, you will go from low to a crouched and then to an upright position. In this way, the rear is engaged and extended.
- Core muscles for stabilizing your body: Skateboarding is a funnier way to engage and build up your core than it is with gym exercises. Your core helps to balance and ground your strength, balance and stabilize you. Balance is a key element to effective skateboarding techniques across awry, curvy, irregular and rough surfaces on which you will be cruising on. Abs are a part of your core muscles, so it’s targeting them as well.
Does Skateboarding Help Lose Weight?
- Set your targets:
As a person with weight loss in mind, you can’t just jump in without planning your activities and having a proper vision or goals of what you want to focus on and what kind of results you want to work towards. So think and clearly define your weight loss goals, what kind of skateboarding techniques you can do on a daily basis (if you are a beginner, consider a skateboard guide) and what kind of workout is best for you, whether it’s a high intensity and adventurous workout or a slow and steady routine like workout.
- Incorporating skateboard tricks and techniques:
While you can simply skateboard for longer distances but it will only target your lower leg muscles and is not focusing on all the muscles it could potentially engage in, thus it reduces the stress on those chubby areas you want to be toned down. So it is good to learn a few tricks from experienced skateboarders so that you acquire a lot more versatility in your skateboarding and it actively makes use of many muscles at once such as core, legs, quadriceps, and hamstrings as discussed before.
So go to the skateboard park and get on those slides and ramps. They engage you in strenuous activities while also making sure you have fun. Remember, the taller and harder the tricks and jumps, the more muscles will be engaged and the more fat you burn.
- Have an experienced guide and practicing:
If you are a beginner at skateboarding, you could end up with serious injuries if you attempt those tricks and jumps, so before you make them as a part of your regimen learn and practice them with an experienced skateboarder, even practice sessions are workouts. As with time you become more proficient in mastering those jumps, ramps and all sorts of surfaces, you will know what works for you and what burns your fat the most, hence it’s a workout as a beginner and after one as well.
Get a Good Amount of Rest
While skateboarding can be fun and good for your body but to not to overdo is the key to maintaining a good form. Your body needs to recover by letting those sore muscles rest after so much activity. Hence, make a schedule in such a way that you are giving your body ample time to rest as well. Take note to warm and cool down before you start this high-intensity workout to prevent soreness and pain as much as possible.
Skateboarding is a cardio form of exercise and will help you lose a considerable amount of weight and when combined with a good diet plan, it can work wonders for your weight loss goals in a short amount of time. So have fun and lose those pounds.